Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Seriously Scrumdiddleyuptious Cookies

Now, it's been said that the art of baking is an exact science...with precise measurments, process order etc. My mother is a number and science person, and a GREAT baker. However, I spent most of my life following my father around a kitchen, where he taught me to cook with my senses instead of recipes.  If you want to change something, you use your instincts and your tastebuds.  Needless to say, my creative impulses have ruined many a baked good in my day. Luckily, the only disaster with today's adventure in baking was how many calories I consumed! These cookies were awesome.

I took a standard recipe for chocolate chip cookies that I have used religiously for years and added to it with reckless abandon.  I put them into the oven and held my breath. 13 minutes later, I took out some seriously rockin' cookies (or as Sonal's kids would say"scrumdiddleyuptious").  The recipe takes about 25 minutes to make and yields about 40 cookies (though tonight half the dough was frozen for future baking!).

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract (for nut-free households, you can use vanilla here)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups of chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup of shredded coconut



In a bowl on the side, mix all dry ingredients. In a kitchen mixer, beat the eggs, and butter  and extract together until they turn a creamy and airy texture. Add the dry ingredients while the mixer is turning, little by little until everything is evenly mixed. Spoon drop the cookies onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and put into a 350 degree oven for 10-13 minutes (when you notice they are lightly on the peaks, take them out!)

Enjoy and happy baking!
Cheers,
Melissa + Sonal

No comments:

Post a Comment