Saturday, July 21, 2012

Bit-O-Honey

Glasses, the drinking kind...

Both Sonal and I have a lot of quirks, which I'm sure our readers have picked up on.  One of these is our affection for glasses, the drinking kind. We figured this out one day when Sonal received a package containing her vintage glassware obsession, frosted glasses with a key-hole shape on one side, revealing a woman painted on the other side (very mid-century kitsch).  They were SPECTACULAR!   They, when combined with the set that she already had, made quite a cool collection.

Her obsession started 14 years ago when she found the same keyhole glasses, a lovely set of 4, that she gave to her sister.  Later she found another set of non frosted lady glasses that she kept for herself.  Sadly both sets were accidentally destroyed by the dishwasher... sadness.  These sets are in better condition and are larger than the first two.  Sonal is very proud of her lady glasses and only pulls them out for special occasions.

 My own obsession started in 1992 sitting at my best friend's kitchen table and her mom made us sweet tea, served in the MOST AMAZING leaded crystal glasses.  I was infatuated with the weight of them, and how they looked so rich and classic.  I conjured up images of myself drinking Scotch in 1955 wearing a party dress and white gloves. Now, fast forward 20 years to yesterday, when I unexpectedly found them for a quarter of the price (everything is more thrilling when you save money). Pure joy...now if only I liked Scotch.

Cheers and happy drinking!
xoxo - Melissa and Sonal





No comments:

Post a Comment